Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I Believe David Byrne Would Be Proud

You may find yourself
Traveling in a big suburban car
And you may ask yourself,
Is there not more tolerable music to listen to with my toddler?

And you may tell yourself
"I have an idea!"
And you may tell yourself
To adapt new lyrics to an old favorite.

This was the impetus for the brilliant idea I had yesterday, when I was really aching for grown-up music on the way home from my MIL's with Kibi. Knowing well his fascination with All Things Fire Truck, I made some quick changes to a perfectly wonderful song by the Talking Heads.

I was so impressed with myself that I jotted the words down (as much as I could remember them) when I got home.

Feel free to use the following for yourselves if and when you are so inclined. You can thank me later.

Burning Down the House

One day, those fire trucks had to co-ome,
Oh, baby! Those fire trucks on the ru-un.
Ain't no ordinary day
Burning down the house!

Hold tight - wait 'til the fire's over,
Hold tight - see all the firemen come up.
There has got to be a way
Burning down the house!

It's time to take the axes out, and chop down all the doors and walls.
(Get those hoses out, to-ooo!)
Close enough but not too far, those hoses shoot up toward the stars.
Fightin' fire with waaa-ter!

All wet - hey, you might need a raincoat.
Shakedown, and pick up all your me-ess.
Three hundred sixty five degrees
Burning down the house!

(expand as necessary....)


No comments:

About Me

Arlington, VA, United States
Maestro and mom to a wee virtuoso

I'm #1804