Monday, June 8, 2009

Creeping Crud... or, the Croup

Ack!  Kibi has croup!  

He woke us up in the middle of the night Saturday with a cough that sounded, unmistakeably, like a seal barking.  He was almost gasping for breath - it was very scary.  It gave me a flashback of childhood when my younger brother used to have croup attacks often.  Fortunately that was the way I knew what to look up on the web at 3 in the morning while my husband gave him a nebulizer treatment.  

Once it seemed he was stablized, we paged our doctor and she gave us instructions (one more breathing treatment, then every four hours or as needed, warm steamy showers if necessary - anything to stop the gasping, or what they call "stridor").  She said if we failed to get the coughing under control with this regimen then she would call him in some steroids, but we haven't needed to do that.  

Today he seems to be doing better but he is still pretty lethargic.  Sorry this post is rather boring, but I'm trying to stay on top of caring for a sick little boy, plus finishing a couple of other projects for work - fun, fun!  

I'll keep you all posted...

2 comments:

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Oh I am so sorry! Ironically, G had his third major strider/croup on Friday. Ugh. I am so glad to hear he is responding well to the treatment.

BigBi said...

Thanks, J.! Hope little G. is feeling better now. Kibi is doing much better today.

About Me

Arlington, VA, United States
Maestro and mom to a wee virtuoso

I'm #1804