Thursday, April 16, 2009

He's Not That Into ... Me?

We recently got accepted into a local co-op playgroup.  My friend had joined it long ago and she encouraged us to apply.  Understanding that there was a waiting list, I applied, figuring it might be a nice transition to preschool when Kibi turns 3.

When they contacted us to let me know we got in, I was pleasantly surprised.  We started this week, and I wasn't sure what to expect.  But now that we've experienced two sessions, I am really feeling optimistic about it.  

It's two mornings a week.  Each parent commits to working in a variety of supervisory roles 4 times per month, and so if you're not working on a particular day, you have the option to stay with your child, or drop them off.  I'll admit that I feel quite hesitant to drop Kibi off -- despite the fact that he stays with his grandma usually 2 times per week when I'm working or running errands.  I dunno, I guess it signifies to me that he is really not my little baby anymore.  Call it the "first child syndrome," I guess.  

Anyway, he LOVES the class.  I mean, really loves it.  As in, I have to drag him home when it's time to go.  That was a nice surprise.  I had visions of him being shy and clinging to my leg the whole time.  

Furthermore, imagine my surprise when, after the second day of attending with him, it dawned on me that ... well, he just didn't seem to even NOTICE that I was there for the entire two hours.  (Except for one time when a bigger kid snatched a toy from him and, without crying or protesting, he came over and plopped into my lap to sit quietly for a little bit.  But sure enough, soon he was off again, exploring another set of toys.)

I guess my boy is more sociable than I knew.  It's not that he plays WITH the other kids; I think he's still a little too young for that.  But he definitely notices them.  It's mostly that the place is FILLED WITH TOYS, which he loves.  And, during the "gym" time, which involves about 15 minutes of running around the community center gym hopping on one ride-on toy and then another, he was in such a state of bliss that I couldn't believe it. 

This all makes me think that I might be able to start dropping him off at this class earlier than I had originally thought.  Which will do wonders for my time management throughout the week, but... how difficult will it be for ME? 

Sniff, sniff...

 

No comments:

About Me

Arlington, VA, United States
Maestro and mom to a wee virtuoso

I'm #1804