Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Things We Take for Granted


You'll recall my recent post about the construction truck fiesta in front of our house. Well, they are STILL WORKING.  This has to be the longest public works project in history. 

Anyway, for the most part, it's been a real pleasure having insta-entertainment for the toddler pretty much every day (save for when the weather is bad).  And, because they've been working on our water pipes, I haven't even minded when we'd receive the occasional notice that they would need to turn our WATER off for a period of time.  

On those days, the water would usually be shut off between the hours of say, 9 and 3, and I'd simply make sure that everyone in the household got their necessary showers, made coffee, washed dishes, and did all of the other things you need to do with... well, duh, with water.  I'd also be sure to store some extra pitchers for cooking, brushing teeth, etc.  A minor inconvenience, but, since we were forewarned, not an insurmountable one. 

But today it all went sour.

With NO warning at all, today they SHUT OFF THE WATER BEFORE I HAD A CHANCE TO SHOWER.  And I've been feeling perfectly grody ever since.

Now, I don't mean to sound like a prima donna, but when's the last time you've needed to take a shower ... and you just couldn't?  See what I'm saying?  We are admittedly a spoiled society, taking the presence of clean and plentiful water for granted 24/7, but really, when you can't wash that morning ick off, let's face it -- you just feel grumpy and out of sorts the rest of the day.

We have plans to meet up with friends this afternoon, and I was almost tempted to call it off due to my general feeling of filth.  But then I sucked it up, put fresh makeup on, combed my hair, changed underwear and socks, and now I sort of feel better.  Not really, but it's mind over matter, right?

Anyway, having been stranded with no water for who-knows-how-long, I panickedly looked around the house for any semblance of water sources that might be used in case of dire emergency (namely, me needing to brush my teeth before going out in public).  I only found two: 1) the cat's water bowl (and believe it or not, realizing my plight, I dipped my hands in there once to wash them after being outside this morning - I know, GROSS!) and 2) the above little cup of water from my bedside stand last night.  HALLELUIAH!  I feel like the Westerners mining for gold at the beginning of the century - EUREKA, we've found it!

I've been rationing my little teeny cup of water in amusing ways, from allowing myself a few meager drips to wet my toothbrush ... to dribbling a teeny bit of it on a paper towel to wipe up K's high chair tray (that was before I remembered some antibacterial wipes I had stored under the sink).  If I get really desperate, I'll use a couple of tablespoons of it to heat up some frozen vegetables for our dinner tonight.  I feel like a pioneer!

ARGH!  I'LL NEVER TAKE WATER FOR GRANTED AGAIN.  I promise!!

So, my friends, for the foreseeable future, the above teeny, tiny cup of water is all that stands between me and sheer insanity.

1 comment:

CDB said...

I laughed all the way through this post, especially when I began realizing the significance of the photo of the little cup of water. And here I thought you were going to say THAT became the entertainment. Nay, the sustenance!

It is so easy to take our luxuries for granted, in the dev'd world.

About Me

Arlington, VA, United States
Maestro and mom to a wee virtuoso

I'm #1804