Monday, September 28, 2009

How Much TV is Too Much?

If you're like me, you have a major complex about allowing your child to watch TV - any TV. That said, you readily (but secretly) admit that TV makes your life as a parent That Much Easier. In fact, it's sort of amusing how, before you became a parent, you swore that your child wouldn't watch an ounce of television, eat junk food, or do anything similarly detrimental to his/her development as a wholesome individual. But this is real life, folks, and we all know a person has to keep sane.

So... what's a conscientious (but lazy) parent to do?

The Washington Post today offers a refresher on how much screen time is too much. The bottom line - no more than two hours a day.

Since K. loves (and I mean looooooooves) Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, I try to make up for the fact that I let him watch it twice per day (once while I am showering, and the other time right after bath as a means of "settling down" before bedtime) by reminding myself that we never* go over that two hour limit. Good to get some affirmation from the experts!

*full disclosure: well, ALMOST never...

2 comments:

Betsy Rosenblatt Rosso said...

This is something I constantly struggle with. The prevalent idea at least among people I know is that we acknowledge tv is evil for kids and yet we succumb. So as a result, every time I turn on Caillou (who I know you love!), Dora, or Olivia, I feel guilty. Yet, I can rest for 30 minutes, cook dinner, or shower without interruption. But while feeling guilty. And I'm not even Catholic. And only half-Jewish.

Betsy Rosenblatt Rosso said...

uh oh. i just read the blurb from the Post that said do not use tv as reward or punishment. hmmm. i have said "if you don't cooperate, you don't get to watch dora" about 25 times in the past month or so. should i stop? what else can i withhold? juice and dora are my only weapons!

About Me

Arlington, VA, United States
Maestro and mom to a wee virtuoso

I'm #1804