Wednesday, December 10, 2008

'Tis the Season... Thanks to YouTube

K. is a child of the 21st century, that's for sure.  Many times he'll take a plain old toy (ie, not electronic) and demand, "On!"  I have to tell him that sadly, Toy X does not turn on, but can't he just enjoy it for its plain old toy-ness?  (In response, he usually gives me a look.)  

Anyway, when it comes to keeping K. entertained, one of the classics in my bag of tricks is to sit with him and watch YouTube videos.  Some of you may be gasping in shock at this, but here's my logic: a) I'm monitoring everything we see, b) it's NOT television (and it's a far, far cry from plopping him in front of the boob tube by himself, and c) you can search for virtually ANYTHING. And YOU WILL FIND IT.

For example, K. has never watched Sesame Street on television; rather, he has witnessed some of the best Sesame Street skits, thanks to his mother, who has developed her own personal file of SS "favorites" (Remember the "onetwothree FOUR FIVE, sixseveneight NINE TEN, eleven twelve!" one with the pinball machine?  It's in there!) that we pull out whenever K. is at his wit's end.

As of late, we've switched to seasonal favorites, and this morning we found ourselves mixing two topics of interest: 1) fire trucks and 2) Santa.  Although K. seemed somewhat reticent about Santa in the beginning (I got him a little Santa board book and he used to push it away, saying "No!") I'll admit I have been laying on the Santa talk REALLY thick, because I am just so gol-durned excited about Christmas coming up.  The result?  The marketing campaign appears to be working.   All of which is a long winded way of telling you what we spent the morning watching: Santa Claus on fire trucks in various geographic locales!

For your enjoyment, here are some faves.  




And my personal favorite, the endearingly-titled "Santa Came to Wisconsin"

Happy holidays!



No comments:

About Me

Arlington, VA, United States
Maestro and mom to a wee virtuoso

I'm #1804